Landlord Gas Safety CP12 Certificate

Landlord Gas Safety CP12 Certificate

Get your CP12 in Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham, Teesside and across the North East for a fixed price of £60.00 now!

CP12 Certificate - Everything a landlord needs to know

I'm a landlord, do I need a a CP12 Certificate?

- Yes legally you need to get a gas safety assessment every 12 months

How much will it cost to get a CP12 certificate done?

- Prices vary, often companies will advertise “from” prices i.e. British gas advertise CP12’s from £59 however they charge extra for more appliances. Recently they quoted us £143 for a CP12 with a gas fire, boiler, gas hob. At Fixed Price Trade we charge a fixed fee of £60 which covers all gas appliances in your property and you can also book instantly online to save time.

What qualifications do you need to certify a CP12?

- You need to be a (CORGI) gas safe registered engineer to complete a CP12 certificate.

How long will it take to complete?

- Typically it may take around 1 to 2 hours however if you have more appliances it could take longer.

What happens if I don't get a CP12 for my rental property?

- You would be breaking the law and putting lives at risk, HSE gives gas safety a high priority and will follow through with tough action to ensure the regulations are complied with, you could find yourself with a substantial fine or / and a custodial sentence.

My properties are managed by an estate agents so will they do it for me?

- It needs to state in your contract who is responsible for maintenance of gas appliances as per the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it needs to state clearly if it’s you the landlord or the property management company. Whoever is responsible for the maintenance will need to ensure they keep copies of the paperwork, you must keep records of the inspection report for 2 years and you must give a copy to your tenant within 28 days of the inspection, as well as retain your copy.

What exactly do you get with a CP12?

  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.
  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.
  • Your Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers data plate.
  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.
  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.
  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.
  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.
  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance can not be issued a Gas Safety Certificate.

What are the top tips when arranging a CP12?

  1. Ensure the price is fixed and includes all gas appliances.
  2. Keep the certificate for 2 years.
  3. Make sure it’s completed by a Gas Safe engineer.
  4. Ensure your tenant has their copy within 28 days.
  5. Save the date in your diary so you don't forget each year when the renewal date comes around.
  6. Make sure you're tenancy agreement states clearly who is responsible for maintenance of gas appliances as per the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998

Get your CP12 for a fixed price of £60.00 now!

« Blog home page