What is an electrical certificate and why do I need one?

Electrical Certificate - Newcastle, Sunderland Durham

What is an electrical certificate and why do I need one?

An electrical certificate can also be known as an ‘electrical installation condition report’. This report must be carried out by a qualified electrician who will check all your electrical circuits and equipment to ensure that they are safe. This report will also highlight any potential dangers in your home that could cause electrical shock or fires. If you are a landlord your property is required to have an electrical certificate by law.

How often should I have an electrical test done on my property?

An electrical safety inspection is recommended to be carried out every 3 to 5 years. It must be carried out legally every 5 years for an HMO property.

Who should carry out an electrical installation inspection?

An electrical inspection should only be carried out by a qualified electrician. All our engineers are either NICEIC, ELECSA or NAPIT registered and are fully qualified to carry out electrical certificates or domestic electrical installation condition reports.

How much should I pay for an electrical certificate?

An electrical certificate will usually cost between £120 and £170 depending on the size of your property.

What happens after my inspection?

After your electrical inspection you will be given a copy of your electrical certificate. Here at Fixed Price Trade we also provide a quote for works involved to remedy any electrical problems you have. A certificate can be either satisfactory or unsatisfactory. If the electrical certificate is deemed unsatisfactory then there will be some electrical faults at your property that require urgent attention.

What does C1, C2, C3 and FI mean?

A C1 is a class 1 electrical issue, this is an issue deemed as dangerous and must be remedied urgently, this issue could be anything from a cracked socket to an exposed wire. When a C1 is identified your electrical certificate will be classed as unsatisfactory.

A C2 is a class 2 electrical issues, this is an electrical fault but not as serious as a C1 situation. A C2 observation will make an electrical certificate unsatisfactory and should be remedied as soon as possible for safety reasons.

A C3 is a class 3, these are recommendations made by the electrician to make the property safer and more efficient. With a C3 class as they are recommendations the certificate will be classed as satisfactory however they should not be ignored. A C3 situation can be anything from insufficient sockets in the property to an damaged cover on a fuse board.

FI stands for further investigation. Further investigations are when an observation is made at the time of the electrical inspection however it will require the electrician to fully investigate the situation to deem what class the problem is for the certificate. If there is an FI on a certificate it will be classed as unsatisfactory as the further investigation could lead to a C1 or C2 situation. For FI electrician usually charge an hourly rate for this.

Need an electrical certificate? Let us help, One of our hand picked PRO tradesman will conduct a home visit and fully test all your electrics in line with current regulations and complete your electrical certificate. It couldn't be simpler call Fixed Price Trade we cover the North East Inc. Newcastle, Sunderland, Durham, Middlesbrough, Stockton, Gateshead, Hartlepool, Darlington, We'll do it for you!

« Blog home page